Content owners want to leverage their investment in interactive digital publications by reaching the widest possible audience. Furthermore many content owners do not want or need to purely distribute their content within a native app which has to comply with the rules of particular mobile platform provider e.g. Apple or GooglePlay.
The new App Studio HTML5 Web Reader (hereafter ‘Web Reader’) extends the list of platforms that App Studio can be consumed on to include Desktop browsers – without the need for a native app. The Web Reader can simply be promoted using a URL e.g. app.[yourpublication].com, no need to link to an App store and is compatible with at least 95% of modern desktop browsers.
To achieve this broad support we have developed a fully responsive design for the Web Reader that adapts according to the available screen space and browser you are using. The Web Reader renders beautifully to maximize the user experience.
We have worked hard to ensure that the full breadth of App Studio interactivity you can include in your App Studio publications will work in an identical fashion where possible, and where not possible, will have a suitable alternative behaviour which makes sense for the web.
See release notes Web App release history
At a high level, our desktop App Studio Web App currently supports the following browsers and OS:
- Chrome 23 and above,
- Firefox 17 and above
- I.E 9 and above
- Safari 6 and above
- Support all HTML5 based interactivity produced by QuarkXPress 9.5 + via App Studio
- Support HTML5 widgets
- Support the list of browsers shown above.
- To include a store front allow multiple issues to be navigated
- Full screen mode
- Ability to deep link to a specific page or issue
- Keyboard and mouse navigation to easily move between pages
- Google Analytics for key events such as page views
- Social media sharing for Facebook and Twitter is supported
- Bookmarking will be done via the browser
- Subscription login